The third in my occasional series of essential Rock Reads, this is a rip-roaring rampage through the early existence of one of punk’s more iconoclastic sons, a warts and all tale of Eric’s life, from his earliest memories, through school, adolescence and his time at Stiff Records where he recorded and released songs such as the great Semaphore Signals, Reconnez Cherie and of course Whole Wide World. As the punk bubble burst, Eric’s “career” stalled, even though he continued to write great material, and the book chronicles his decline through alcoholism and failure to his decision to repent and begin to rebuild his life with The Len Bright Combo.
This, on the face of of seems a bit of a downer, but Eric’s brash forthright honesty and lack of self-pity make it a great read, and throughout we meet a great cast of supporting characters, Nick Lowe, Dave Robinson, and looming large, Ian Dury. We inhabit seedy flats, and even seedier rehearsal rooms and subhuman recording studios, but none of this deters our hero from his need to make music which is always honest and often perversely upbeat.
Eric finally seems to have found some sort of stability with the lovely song writing Amy Rigby (clearly something of a saint) and they write record and perform together. Long may they continue, their couple of releases so far are well worth tracking down, possessing a delightful lo-fi charm.
Tags5 o'clock Shadows acoustic guitar Andy Partridge Anne Briggs Barney Bubbles Barry Andrews Bempton Ben Mandelson Bert Jansch Blue Blokes Three Bongos Over Balham Brendan Croker Brian ENo Chesterfield Canal Chris Wood colin moulding edward bawden Edward Calvert English Civil War Epworth Foliate Head Foxglove Galway Gannets! gerry rafferty Green Man Hank Bradley Hidcote Manor High House Stafford History of Quadrupeds Ian Anderson.froots Jake Riviera John Wesley Kimberley Rew krazy kat Lady Gregory Letters From A Lost Uncle Lord Bateman Lu Edmonds Malcolm Pryce marc Ribot Mark Pavey Martin Stone Mervyn Peake Mythical Beasts Nick Lowe Oblique Strategies Paul Bassman Riley P C Bailey Pete Thomas Phil Lithman Poison Coyote Kid Poppies Robert Fripp robyn hitchcock Roger Deakin RSPB Samuel Palmer Sheffield Southwell Minster St Andrews Church Suffolk The Leaping Hare The Poppies Are In The Field The Teardrop Explodes The Winding Stair Thomas Bewick Thoor Ballylee underwater moonlight W B Yeats WIldwood Wilko Johnson Wood Engraving XTC Yeats' Tower
- RT @barneyfarmer: I can't draw, let that sink in. https://t.co/KNXTdLKSDa 8 hours ago
- Again? This is appalling.... twitter.com/laurasbakery/s… 20 hours ago
- RT @DickKingSmith: Sometimes shrews travel in a 'caravan'. Each shrew grasps the base of the tail of the preceding shrew so that the mother… 20 hours ago
- RT @AndyBurnhamGM: On Friday, Tories say they can't afford rail schemes in the North. On Monday, they find billions more for London. Are th… 20 hours ago
- RT @alexillustrator: The 'Northern Powerhouse' ought to be one big fucking factory building huge trebuchets to fling burning shit south int… 20 hours ago