1st up St Andrews Church
Did this and the following way back in 1985 sometime about the wimbledon final. The church website states…
St Andrew’s Parish church at Epworth is a grade 1 listed building of C15 Perpendiculars Style seemingly developed from an earlier C13 church. The arcades, with their octagonal piers and double chamfered arches are of the C13. The remains of an earlier, lower arcade can be seen in the walls of the C15 Tower suggesting the presence of a much earlier structure.
During the Perpendicular Period that ran from the C14 to C16 the clerestory (the row of windows above the aisle roofs) was constructed, as were the battlements (seen from outside). During this period the north aisle was rebuilt to construct a Chantry Chapel occupied now occupied now by the organ and priest’s vestry. Later a Chantry Chapel was added on the south side, although this chapel no longer exists, the entrance to it can be seen at the east end of the south aisle.
Also from the same session, a drawing of the other Epworth icon, the Wesley Rectory,
The house website has a brief history…
The Old Rectory was built for Samuel Wesley in 1709 at a cost of just over £184 after a disastrous fire had destroyed the earlier building, the 5-year old John Wesley having been rescued from it (as he later wrote) ‘as a brand plucked from the burning’. The house was the home of successive rectors at St Andrew’s Parish Church until it was eventually no longer required, and was bought by the Methodist Church in 1954, much of the money being contributed by member churches of the World Methodist Council. After some renovation it was opened to the public in 1957, and gained official status as a registered museum in 2001.
The Old Rectory is a Queen Anne Grade 1 Listed Building which had a number of extensions during the early 19th century. Some outbuildings were added in the late 19th and 20th centuries. The property still retains over 3 acres of glebe land – referred to by the Wesleys as ‘the croft’ – in addition to formal gardens.